Sunday, February 19, 2012

Point + Shoot : Good Cop, Bad Cop



Can you guess who's 'Officer Bad' in our household?

Hubby and I usually play the bad cop/good cop parenting game
in a pretty subtle and balanced way.
One that ticks along just fine.
I don't need to be catering for my son's every last
(and often ridiculous)
whim for Magoo to know how much I adore him or for him to love me right on back,
so I seem to be the consistent, firm one - and that's okay with me.

On Saturday, the scales went a bit haywire around here. 
The good cop/bad cop routine went up a notch and it more resembled
 'greatest mate/worst Mum ever'.

I'm all for cramming as much fun into our day as possible,
but occasionally my nearest and dearest leaves me out there
swinging in the breeze on my own in discipline land.

In fact, the good cop seemed hell bent on causing chaos
and encouraging a sugar-fuelled feral uprising!

I cleaned, washed, tidied, cooked and nagged my way through the day
 - trying in vain to bring back my usually fairly well mannered,
 rested and obedient little man.
But I was the Chief of the Fun Police with no back-up.

The meltdown (Magoo's - not my much tamer version!)  - she weren't pretty.
The poor boy was so hyped, exhausted and lacking his usual comfortable
boundaries he toooootally lost it by Saturday evening.

Thankfully, on Sunday normal transmission resumed around these parts.
Balance was restored, manners re-instated and we could ALL have some fun.
It was a blissful day filled with everyone's favourites - and minus the tantrums.

The delicious Donna Hay brownies I won over at Posie's place.


Photo by Master Magoo.


Halle Berry eat your heart out.


Are you the good or bad cop on your beat?

Linking with
Sonia's Wonderful Weekends
Life Love and Hiccups
and
Mandy's Sentimental Weekends
A Little Space Like Home

Nasty Officer Shar :-)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh can so relate...as a single Mum...I do it all :)

Unknown said...

In my household, I'm good cop and bad cop!! I call myself Jekyl and Hyde... trying to dish out the fun and the discipline is super duper tricky there is a fine line!! BTW your pics are gorgeous, so sunny and happy!!
Hope Magoo calmed down after his good cop outing!!: ) xx

melissa said...

My husband and I share the parenting time fairly equally so we both a play a bit of good cop/bad cop. It might lean slightly towards me being good cop though...

Unknown said...

I'm usually the Fun Police around here, other wise nothing would ever get done around this house.

But I do redeem myself by taking them out to run wild.

Great pics!

Mrs Savage said...

Oh gosh I'm bad cop and I hate it. However my husband is so soft that when he does get tough I usually tell him off for being mean to the kids so he can't really win :)

Laura @ Twenty5seven said...

I'm usually bad cop, then I become tired-and-permissive cop and the Mister takes over as bad cop.

Casey said...

Love the pictures! I am neither a good cop or bad cop. One day I hope to find the nice balance in between?

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

I am always bad cop and it sucks! Just once I'd like to be the fun one, but then I guess chaos would regain and my control freak nature wouldn't cope!
Love the pic taken by Magoo.

Life Love and Hiccups said...

I'm usually the good cop round here and poor dad gets the bad label. Occasionally I really crack it though, usualy when I am super tired and run out of patience and the suddenly Dad doesn't seem so bad. :) thanks for linking up lovely. Lve the photos as always xxx

Anna @ green tea n toast said...

We have our good cop/bad cop moments too. Looks like you had a fun weekend though! X

::The Beetle Shack:: said...

mmm it's so hard to find the balance! I think i'd be good cop.... but my kids are always pretty pleased when their dadda comes home... so maybe not ;)

xo em

Mrs M said...

Thankfully hubby and I find a good balance.
Turns out your son takes a great photo.

All For Love said...

We're quite bizarre in our household, in that we're both good cop AND bad cop, on a regular basis. Must be so confusing for the boys. Love your pics Shar, I've missed this sunny spot in my day... but I'm getting back to it now xo