Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Do Share

We're always telling the kids to share.
Well, I am.

It's nice to share.
Share your toys.
Share your feelings.
Share your food (oh - not the allergens though).
Share your germs.
Donate.
Give generously.

On the whole, I agree.
And I do.
Mostly.
But....

Some days I. don't. want. to. share.
Fist curl, foot stomp, pout.

Sometimes I want to have my own head space all to myself.
My shower all to myself.
My breakfast, lunch or dinner all to myself.
My phone conversation (and phone) all to myself.
My toilet, my sneaky chocolate I thought you didn't know about, my newspaper or inappropriately violent book, my frustration, my driving music, my handbag, my tic tacs, my tampons, my laptop... all. to. my. self. 
secret stash
Sometimes I just don't want to hear that sweet little voice pipe up
"Me have some?"
 "What's dat?"
"Dat for me?"
"Who you talking?"
"My turn, Mum?"

Sometimes I just don't want to share.

Hang head. Point to forehead.
Stamp 'bad mother' here.

Shar :-)

Look, I just really, really like lollies.
And I'm sick of eating them like a fugitive.

13 comments:

Toni said...

my kids could hear the rustle of a lolly wrapper through 5 closed doors!

You are NOT a Bad Mummy.

Or at least, no worse than the rest of us.

Unknown said...

If your a bad mother, then I must be a monster!

I got an iPad for christmas. and its MINE. all MINE. there is not a kids app in sight. and there won't be.

This is the first time in the history of my being a parent that I haven't caved and let them have a go...

Sometimes its ok to not share. Especially when its something special, and precious...

like my iPad

:)

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

Oh, and the chocolate...'what are you eating mum?'...'nothing'...'yes you are I can smell chocolate', 'can I have some?'

AND with girls....my lip gloss far out I have to sneak it on!!

All For Love said...

Love it Shar, this is how I feel on certain days too. You are not a bad mother, in fact I think every mother feels this on a regular basis. It's actually getting quite ridiculous how much of my food I end up sharing with my baby birds. They are seriously like a couple of chicks in the nest, pecking around me for crumbs, haha!
Oh and I've lost count of the number of times I've eaten a chocolate bar with my head in the cupboard ;o) xo

SportyMummy said...

he-he Shar, so funny and clever! I feel exactly the same way!!

Teresa said...

Ah huh, I hear ya, Shar.

I have had personal items commandeered out of my hand bag to be used for a game about a family of mice and my lipstick is now kept in an elmo zip lock bag in my otherwise grown up fancy pants hand bag because the lids are missing and the I lipstick bit is all chewed up.

P.s I keep a jar of nutella on the top shelf and steal myself with a teaspoon every now and again.

Anonymous said...

Human nature, my love! Doesn't make you a bad mum, just human ;)

MultipleMum said...

I totally relate to this Shar! Today I said to my daughter, "no! It is MY hand and I don't want you to hold it right now!?". Bad mother! x

Thea said...

Nooooo, you don't need a 'Bad Mother' stamp. You need a 'Totally Normal Mother' stamp!! :)

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

Definitely not a Bad Mother! I can't remember the last time I went to the toilet uninterrupted, let alone ate something all on my own.
We defienitely all feel the way you're feeling at different times!

Mel @ Coal Valley View said...

I had a whole pack of timtams tonight and gave the kids 1 each and told them the rest of the packet was GONE! All gone. In the bin. I secretly devoured the rest. Feel better?

Jane said...

Oh Shar, you're not alone. At all. We all do it! And as for the toilet, after 6 years of being observed, I'm *slightly* over it! J x

Kate @ Our Little Sins said...

My phone doesn't have YouTube and my laptop will explode if children touch it... Yes, that's what Chatterbox thinks because I may have *ahem* told him that.

I've seen what happened when the husb allowed the phone to be taken over and I.do.not.want.to.share.

Gawd, how good would it be if we really could stand and stomp our feet!?

Yep, the chocolate in our house is consumed very secretively...

Nothing wrong with not wanting to share every single facet and element of your life - you're certainly not alone and definitely not a 'bad mother'. Just a sane one!