Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Old? Me? (Some More Signs)


You know you're getting on a bit when...

you hurt your back slicing cheese.
Not even particularly hard cheese either.

You actually utter the words
"what happened to good old fashioned manners?"

You prefer 'sensible' cute shoes
and scoff at the length of belts so-called skirts "these days".

You call pubs and clubs by their names from over ten years ago.

You think the music is too loud...at the shopping centre.

You draft an email of complaint about service standards - and send it.

The thought of three 'big' Saturday nights in a row scares you.

You can no longer get your head around lining up for over two hours to enter a bar
- and then waiting another half hour to pay ridiculous prices for a drink.

You no longer think you're invincible and half expect some new health 'issue' to pop up on a weekly basis.

You wish they wouldn't always resort to foul language and sexual overtones in every single pop song.

You think friends in their twenties are just beautiful babies with their whole lives ahead of them.

You find yourself hanging out for a cup of tea.
Actual tea - not 'code' for anything else. Just tea.

You shake your head at what you (and your child) hear on breakfast radio in the car.

The attendant at Santaland is an ex-student who is about to get married.

You type the words 'getting on a bit'.


Or so I hear, anyway.
Shar :-)

13 comments:

Toni said...

oh YES -- every ONE of these.

Sometimes I feel like next week I'll be out on my front lawn shaking my Zimmer frame at passing motorists and shouting at them to slow down.

Lou said...

I do ALL of these...and I'm still (hopefully!) one of those friends in their twenties - you know, the kind with their whole life ahead of them ;)

Ok, wait - I've never hurt my back slicing cheese. You're on your own there my dear!

Hotly Spiced said...

Oh dear. I can hear myself saying some of these things. I must be older than I realised.

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

oh my gosh...tick - tick and tick to them all, so scary isnt it! I often wonder how younger people now see me, you now, as I did when I was younger and looking at a 30something and thinking - yep they are past it...

Tamsyn said...

This list is killing me. I agree with far too many of the points :(

Teresa said...

I am thinking "check" to too many of these and scary thing is, I can think of more :(

Anonymous said...

Oh your talkin my language...BUT worse I must have been looking very old last week a shop assistant asked me if I had GRAND CHILDREN or children to enter a comp...WTF!!!

Life Love and Hiccups said...

LMAO I have neck strain from my continuous nodding. Or maybe it is just my old joints playing up ;) xx

All For Love said...

Love this Shar... it is scary I can relate to SO many of them :o/
I'm always taken back when I hear myself sounding like my parents, kind of makes me shudder.
TWO HOURS lining up for a bar, that is brutal! xo

Kate @ Our Little Sins said...

Uh huh, uh huh, yep, yep, uh huh, yes...my gawd, there isn't one I can't relate to, well except the ex-student.

Next we'll be asking for a blanket for our knees to stop the draft...

Mrs M said...

holy crap, so what you're telling me is I'm bloody old!

Redcliffe Style said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Redcliffe Style said...

Great post, I am still in denial of being old but I didn't laugh and nod at most of your points.

Rachel xx

Www.redcliffestyle.com