Friday, December 9, 2011

Grateful For... Traditions & Tears

This morning we enjoyed our annual 'Living Nativity' at school.
It's the event on our school calendar that I most adore and look forward to.


Each year, on the final day of school for our students, some staff recreate the nativity scene.

As the children and their families arrive and the sun is rising over the school, we form a tableau of the stable where Jesus was born - complete with a real live baby from our community, straw bales and disobedient farm animals.

The Christmas story is read from the bible and a beautiful hymn played. 
Then we change positions and the whole thing is repeated over and over. 

Four years ago, after a year of depressing diagnoses and fertility treatment, I played the role of Mary in our Living Nativity.


Within days our very own Christmas miracle occurred and one big belly later we welcomed Magoo into our family.


Get. Out.
I. Know.


A few hours into my first (of many) sleepless night after seeing those two glorious blue lines and not quite believing it, I woke Hubby up with a start.
"Honey. Honey. I was Mary. I was Mary.
Holy mother of God. I. Was. Mary."


Be it a beautiful coincidence or divine intervention - I'm thankful. Every day.


The following year I played the part of Mary again
- this time with my very own boy child in my arms.
I don't think Mary was supposed to let the tears roll the entire way through the morning, but I figure that was my interpretation of Mary's joy in God's handiwork.


Today was beautiful.
I'm definitely no angel, but I was this morning.


I'm grateful for the tradition of the Living Nativity that moves me (and many others) every year and the tears that remind me that some miracles do happen.

Linking with Maxabella Loves' Grateful For...


Shar :-)

22 comments:

Toni said...

I've got goosebumps the size of chook eggs!! that is AWESOME!

Lou said...

Ok so I have some intense memories of that nativity day! I fainted from all the standing in one spot while I was pregnant with Sunny! Oh the memories... are I for one and super thankful for your own little boy child xx

Loz said...

Bloody hell, I'm crying!

georgi said...

that is amazing.. such a lovely story. actually gave me tingles .. thank you for sharing!

xx

Anonymous said...

sniff sniff, thats beautiful xx

Deb @ home life simplified said...

Beautiful memory and beautiful post

leanne can blog said...

What a lovely story!

All For Love said...

That is just THE best story Shar. It is true, miracles do happen :o) xo

Teresa said...

You made me cry! What a beautiful photo of you starring so lovingly at magoo.

Teresa said...

P.s just went back to look at the photo again and had to laugh at he gorgeous lady on the end with a lamb on her lap being fed by a coke bottle.

Even when your post makes me cry ( happy) tears , you still make me laugh.

Romina Garcia said...

You had me BAWLING!! Bawling I tell you! What a beautiful story xx

Daisy, Roo and Two said...

Oh Shar!!! What a beautiful and amazing story!! The Living Nativity looks and sounds magical! That is such a goosebump inducing story - I hope you tell it to Magoo when he is older!

Mom of 12 said...

That is so awesome!
Sandy

Unknown said...

goosebumps!! unbelievable.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh so sweet, we're not religious & last night in the car my son asked something about the 3 wise men. I told him the story & he said at the end "didn't they have private health insurance". Clearly they didn't have access to 'wotif' for last minute internet hotel bookings either. Hmmm, enough said almost 8 year old, we might just stick to not being religious. Your story is beautiful, congratulations. I love the idea of the real life nativity scene with baby lambs too. Love Posie

Thea said...

Oh dear.
Goosebumps and tears!
What a beautiful story.
I do believe in miracles. :)

melissa said...

What a beautiful story. Miracle or coincidence - it doesn't matter. You have a beautiful little boy to cuddle. xx

Mrs M said...

Love it. Our local church does this too each year. For a whole week, each night. It's become our tradition to go down and watch. the kids adore it.

Jane said...

Oh Sweetheart! What an extraordinary story. Goosebumps in Hobart. I am so delighted for you that your own miracle occurred. J x

Two Aussies in Bots with a Baby said...

Love stories like this .... miracle or coincidence?!?! I always like to think "somebody" is working in miraculous ways :) Thanks for sharing your own little Xmas miracle story x

Tamsyn said...

Bawling my eyes out here. That is so beautiful.

Veronica @ Mixed Gems said...

Popping over from Daisry, Roo and Two's "That's How My Blog Rolls Week 7" (http://www.daisyrooandtwo.com/2012/01/thats-how-i-roll-with-my-blogroll-week-7.html). This is such a beautiful post and an special story to have for Magoo. Having been through fertility treatment myself, I know how especially precious the miracle of life is.