Thursday, December 15, 2011

No What???

No T.V.

It's okay - only for a week.
Well, that was the plan anyway.

On the back of replacing our old fatback television with a much bigger, slimmer and prettier model here, we went and called a 'no t.v. week' on Magoo.

We are hereby nominating for the 'Nastiest Parents of 2011' award.
One expensive mirror.
Young Magoo usually watches up to an hour of t.v./dvd off and on in the mornings while I do laundry or dishes, shower, email, clean up, pack bags etc. and maybe another half hour or so somewhere else in the day.

The morning viewing used to begin with his butt parked on the couch and usually ended in him losing interest or playing within earshot of it.

But last month, he had plonked himself on the couch with glazed eyes and serious couch potato posture for the entire time - and completely refused to move, make eye contact, get dressed, answer questions, brush his teeth, give me a decent cuddle...

Instead of him happily clicking the red button when t.v. time was declared over, t.v. shutdown had become a constant Magoo meltdown despite warnings, timers or incentives.

So, a couple of weekends ago the t.v. ban was threatened and then executed.

Apart from requesting a visit to Pumpkin Patch while we were out shopping (so he could watch the t.v. in there - devious boy!), he hasn't created too much fuss about the whole thing - and neither have we.

In fact, the 'week' morphed into a fortnight and then another week and it's a non issue here. (Except for me obviously, because I'm writing about it aren't I?!)

I have noticed that Magoo is playing with toys that he hadn't touched in ages, he is constantly role playing and getting up to imaginary mischief.
He is talking even more than usual and fitting extra performances into his much anticipated 'Magoo Concert Extravaganza' schedule.

I've noticed that Magoo is in my face (and shower) more.
That he is doing less mindless snacking (he seemed to think t.v. viewing and chewing were made for one another)
and he is tantruming less (we'll take less, it's better than more).

Soooooo, when does the t.v. come back on???

I'm not dead against television - at all.
'Play School' is all kinds of wonderful, 'The Wiggles' are the true awesome foursome and 'In The Night Garden' gives me insight into what I missed by avoiding drugs in years gone by. 'Fireman Sam' is a dead set hero and 'Peppa Pig' has infiltrated my soul.

But how do I find the balance between all(day) or nothing?

I'm thinking we subtly go back to only watching dvds to avoid the ABC2 ploy of enticingly advertising the next three hours worth of programmes - which all happen to be Magoo's absolute favourite, apparently.

How do you 'do t.v.' with your kids?

Shar :-)

11 comments:

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

I find my kids just go into a feral cranky lazy mode after tv, so keep it when I need a babysitter....yep tv is my babysitter for when I can't be two places at once and just need to get something done.

Anonymous said...

Oh you shocking parent...haha... how funny they readjust better than we do sometimes. Now my kids are older I cant get them of the phone or laptops!!

danneromero said...

Hate to say it, but TV is going to be a forever issue... It's way too enticing. Aside from that, I like how you stood your ground and turned it off forcing Magoo to use his imagination. I say bravo, mom....

Unknown said...

My kids prefer computers and gaming consoles over the t.v.

we let them play the games for a few days then we ban all computer/gaming consoles for a few days.

Life Love and Hiccups said...

I use TV as a last option. We love Friday night movie night and the kids love to watch it when they are tired. But they arent interested during the day - unless it is of course interactive TV like Playstation. Now that is a whole different thing :) xx

All For Love said...

This is an interesting one Shar. We were harsh parents for the first 3 years of Angus' life. He rarely watched anything, other than glancing at the shows we were watching. And he didn't yearn for it either. But this year, he has discovered Tv and we've experienced some of those negatives you've described here. He actually only likes 2 kids shows, Toybox and Magical Tales... and of course he loves a few of the kid's movies. I have a bit of a rule that he has no morning Tv and he can only watch it in the afternoon after 3.30 (not sure why I have chosen that time, just seemed right). If he is not feeling well or it's raining, then I've been known to be a little more flexible with the rules.

Tara @ Mum-ments said...

Oh go you!! I am defiantly thinking i need to do this with my boys! they dont sit there all day although sometimes i wish theyd sit for even 5 mins in front of it but its a huge distratction and on all day!
hmmmm I think you've inspired me!
xxx

Deb @ home life simplified said...

my kids have free access to the dvd player and ABC2 - my approach so it is not an issue,. self regulating etc. It was all fine until they created all the extra abc channels. it used to be available with their favourite shows in short bursts but now it is more like there are short bursts where they don't like it so i do intervene sometimes when i see they are glued there and have not done anything else (other times they relax with it having already been active, creative etc)

Romina Garcia said...

I put it on Disney Jnr whenever I feel the need to go scream into a pillow. That's often by the way ;-)r

Two Aussies in Bots with a Baby said...

Oh I so need to do this!! Some days the first thing my 2 year old says in the mornings is teevee or deeveedee :( I think I'm going to have to put in place a similar ban or at least restrict it to a half hour or hour while I'm trying to get dinner ready (the tv babysitter does have its handiness sometimes?!). Thanks for the inspiration :)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Well the television NEVER goes on in the mornings, oh good GOD i do not need to compete with that & teenager zombies. I love television but the children have homework & then barely have time to catch anything. They each have a television in their room, shock horror, but they are academic & sporty, i don't have a problem if they want to watch something on their own, their own space.
When they were younger, the television just wasn't on during the day, actually, the children never put it on themselves & sometimes when it's freezing wet & cold outside in Canberra, i wish they'd sit down & watch Harry Potter or something cool, but they would rather be creating something with their hands or playing together. Raising them in the tropics, they were always outside so no need for any television ban, they weren't interested. Love Posie