Tuesday, December 6, 2011

52 Week Project : Wk 12

This week was our 'Primary Celebration and Awards Ceremony' at school.

Each year, it is tradition that the academic staff process into the ceremony
 in full academic regalia (daaaarling).
ie. looking (and sweating) like tools in the big black gowns, sashes and hoods

Some people find it poxy.
 I quite like it.
But I'm a sook who loves a tradition (and a good fancy dress party).

My boss's take was that it's a visual reminder to our (high fee paying!) families
that we are professionals who have earned the right to this gig and privilege.
I quite like that spin.

To some it's just a lot of pompous 'look at my degree' crap.
I get that spin too.

So, look at me and my degree
(and my old lady hands)...


I've seen your 'pompous' and raised you a 'pathetic' here.
I'm holding my twelve year old honours thesis in my hand!
(Can't fathom why it is in such pristine condition after all these years!)

Linking with My Mummy Daze and her most educational 52 Week Project.
The 52 Week Project

Shar  B Ed(Hons)
 :-)

12 comments:

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

Oh well done I say...teachers do a great job and we couldn't live without them, you deserve this and more!!

danneromero said...

very cute... and collegiate.

Laura @ Twenty5seven said...

Everyone needs a bit of professional recognition... can't imagine what the primary school kids think of their teachers in satin gowns/robes though.

If your thesis is in that good of a condition, you're not thumbing through it enough =op Take it to bed for some light reading ;o)

My Mummy Daze said...

Why, don't you read your thesis each year Shar? ;-)

I hired my gradation get-up so only had the honour of wearing it twice. I like the idea of your school doing this. It sets a good example for students to aim for. I can totally see some parents feeling a bit threatened by it and rolling their eyes though.

All For Love said...

Ah, you look gorgeous and you look so incredibly distinguished and intelligent... if for no other reasons, these are good enough ones ;o) xo

Life Love and Hiccups said...

You have every reason to be proud and totally worthy of the pomp.
What is your thesis on?
By the way hun - have I told you before, you have THE most gorgeous smile. xxx

Daisy, Roo and Two said...

You know, those parents probably LOVE when you all parade out in your robes! It WOULD make them feel better about those fees, I bet! You look gorgeous, and well done on your honours too!

Lifeasmummymax said...

Well done! You look gorgeous!

Kate @ Our Little Sins said...

I remember when I was in primary school, at one of those ludicrously- priced-all-girls-schools and we would giggle and giggle at the teachers in their robes! We thought they all looked really funny.

Now, I have a completely different respect for and perspective of the whole thing. You guys deserve ALL the recognition possible and I reckon there must be some parents who need a decent reminder that you are professionals and not just some baby sitter. (I have a few friends who are teachers and their stories about some parents make my toes curl...)

You look beautiful and yes, you should read your thesis more often!

I didn't go to any of my graduation ceremonies so have never worn my colours - I don't even know what they would be! I was too scared of getting up on stage and/or tripping over, swearing really loudly and maybe even falling off the stage...

Lee said...

I think that it's great that you get to do that every year. For most of us getting in the academic robes only comes at the end of courses, rather than yearly. I think as someone else has said that it is a great reminder to parents that you are indeed educated professionals.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

You look gorgeous in your robes & i loved the pomp & ceremony of watching our teachers in theirs at my private school - different colours for different degrees. I didn't go to my graduations, i was travelling or moving interstate with my husband, so no shots of me all robed up (plus i was pregnant the second time). Love Posie

Thea said...

lol, you look fabulous dahling!
And I'm jealous. I only got to wear mine once....ONCE!! :)