Friday, January 11, 2013

Grateful For A Goal

This week I have been given a little carrot to reach out for.
And it's made this bunny very happy indeed!

I have finally accepted that I work better with a deadline looming,
a list to conquer, a mission or some purpose to my existence, you know!

It's not that "surviving this" or "feed the children" or "get through the day"
aren't valid aims at times - but I need to feel that there's more than that to life.

This week I was offered one of those 'more than that's in my running.

In the form of an invitation to join some old running comrades in a team marathon event later in the year.

Who would have thought that such a simple conversation
(and some good natured old fashioned slagging/banter)
would have left me a little giddy and invigorated.

I've now got a goal to focus on when running and a reason (other than my mental health) to train.
Some external motivation (other than the jelly belly variety) to push the distance and speed.
I have a commitment to someone other than myself and the chocolate stash - and it feels good.
I look forward to this bit of accountability and to
reigniting the social side of running again in the coming months.

A few years ago, we won this event as a marathon relay team -
 so there's an element of pressure too.
What if I let the team down?
What if they expect me to be as fast as I was pre-Missi?
What if Hubby has something on that day?
What if the baby keeps me up all night the night before the event?
What if, what if, what if...

 
What if I just stop overthinking and enjoy??
Be grateful that they thought of me and that I have a goal to work towards.
(And, man, do I need to do some work!)

Linking with the 52 Weeks of Grateful
Shar :-)

12 comments:

everybitcount.com said...

So glad you have a great goal - nothing better and more of a compliment when invited by a team. You won't let them down - just enjoy!

everybitcount.com said...

So glad you have a great goal - nothing better and more of a compliment when invited by a team. You won't let them down - just enjoy!

everybitcount.com said...

So glad you have a great goal - nothing better and more of a compliment when invited by a team. You won't let them down - just enjoy!

Mandy Ferry said...

Good for you. I'm trying to phych myself up, perhaps if I just buy the ticket I'll find that motivation.

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen said...

it's always good to have that motivation, good for you! And no more "what ifs" :)

Deb @ home life simplified said...

good luck - sounds perfect - i also need goals and deadlines for motivation. enjoy it!

Elisa {With Grace and Eve} said...

Sounds awesome! And I like "stop overthinking and enjoy"! Might just have to remind myself of that from time to time xx

Kylie @ Octavia and Vicky said...

Very exciting! I am also so much more focussed when I have a deadline. And I work especially well in the day before the deadline LOL

Debbie @ Aspiring Mum said...

How exciting! Deadlines and goals definitely make me more focused and productive. Good luck!

happylan said...

Excellent! Best of luck with the training. I think "What if I just stop overthinking and enjoy?!" could be my personal motto. Seriously. I should print it up in big block letters and hang it somewhere. In every room. :)

Mama of 2 boys said...

That is awesome Shar! We all need goals to work towards, in fact I am not happy unless I have one or two on the hop. I'm looking forward to following your progress with this one... might even inspire me to get my ample butt into gear a bit more this year too ;) xo

Amanda @ mammajoy said...

Exciting! Good on you for not listening to the doubts, you can totally do this :-) I had a dream last night that I did a 5k bike ride - as you do when you're 28 wks preggas?! - and I felt AMAZING. Was so nice feeling that buzz of accomplishment, even if it was only in a pregnancy hormone induced dream. *sigh*