Tuesday, September 25, 2012

School Daze

Schooling ...

Public?
Private?
Catholic?
Anglican?
Uniting?
Montessori?
Alternative?
Non denominational?
Local?
Out of catchment?

It's a mine field - and that's before you begin interacting with teachers, students and families!

But, there was only one choice for me (or mine).

Since joining the staff at my school seven years ago, I've been blown away by the amazing community and the educational practices of the place.

I've experienced first hand the commitment, dedication and (at times ridiculously) high standards expected of the staff.

I've enjoyed the generosity and unrivalled spirit that permeates the whole school.

I can hardly believe it's been over four years since I tried to complete & submit the enrolment forms prior to Magoo's birth.
Apparently, you need to actually exist out of utero to be enrolled.
Beauraucracy hey.

We had our 'admission interview' at the campus near our home a couple of months ago now.

And, by jobes, the boy is in.
(I would have to be slightly insulted if my own colleagues rejected my flesh and blood though!)

A spot of busking, perhaps?

Today we received our information pack, book list, uniform pricing and are booked in an orientation group.

Hubby has started attending the parent education program - and is enjoying bringing me up to speed on concepts like phonological awareness and auditory discrimination.
(Never mind that I created and presented similar presentations for this very school myself!)

Now we just have to find the fundage to match our enthusiasm.
(Bye bye new car. Bye bye holidays that don't involve the words 'tent site'.)

Magoo may be young, but I'm sure he could manage "would you like fries with that?" a couple of afternoons a week, no?

Shar :-)

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Ah school. Tears :( Emmy is off next year to and we still can't decide which school. Two to choose from, catholic or public. Both will have 5, yes five, kids starting next year! Uniforms! Tissues please!

All For Love said...

Well done Magoo & parentals, it's a massive decision and such a big step for everyone involved... I'm just discovering this now myself. I don't think it's fully dawned on me that Angus is off to school next year. I mean we're going through all the motions/interviews/tours/orientation/readiness programs... but seriously, school?!
It must be slightly more comforting to actually 'know' what you'll be dealing with though... I'm completely clueless really.
Gorgeous pic of your little guitarist. Busking, for sure! xo

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh we've had it all, Montessori & Indigenous too!! Spread over NSW, NT & ACT, i can tell you, i like private the best, especially all girls for girls!! My son will go to a coed private school. They are all religious, we're not, the children find a nice balance & so far, excelling in the private school environment.
Congratulations on the successful admission interview. One of my brothers didn't even speak in his, when he was 3, he just sat there & pretended to shave with a jug plug & turned out to be accepted, then go on to be a surgeon!! Love Posie

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh we've had it all, Montessori & Indigenous too!! Spread over NSW, NT & ACT, i can tell you, i like private the best, especially all girls for girls!! My son will go to a coed private school. They are all religious, we're not, the children find a nice balance & so far, excelling in the private school environment.
Congratulations on the successful admission interview. One of my brothers didn't even speak in his, when he was 3, he just sat there & pretended to shave with a jug plug & turned out to be accepted, then go on to be a surgeon!! Love Posie

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

ahhh school.
We only had a choice of 2 (unless I wanted to home school) and I know we made the best choice for our family. I can't imagine how hard it must be with so many more choices though!
I think it's great that Hubby's going to the parent orientation!