Monday, December 3, 2012

Same, Same - and Same Again

In the last few days, I've been bitten by the monotony of life as a full time stay-at-home-Mum.

I mean no disrespect to my children - because I love them to the moon and back - but at times I struggle with the actual stay-at-home component of this role.

Missi has hit that age where she is a tad less tag-along, bless her.
Sister likes her cot - and you can't argue with that if she's happily sleeping in it a couple of times a day.
Sister also has a few feeding issues, so spends the bulk of her 'awake time' trying to drink her bottle - which of course, is attached to my hand.
Unfortunately, sister ain't so fond of her pram at the moment.

Last week, I stayed home literally every day.
Friends came to play and visit.
We had people over for dinner.
I popped to the shops briefly.
I drove Magoo to and from kindy twice.
The weather was just atrocious.
I had plenty to occupy my time around here...
But I was at home pretty much all. week. long.

Then, when Hubby left to paddle in a race for most of Saturday - I cried.
Like a big sooky bubby.

I would never want him to forgo his own interests, but as I watched him drive off I was struck with a sense of being 'trapped' here in this home and role of 'Mum'.

Man, I know just how ungrateful and pathetic that sounds.
(So, so, so very, very ungrateful and pathetic.)
I know how fortunate I am that my children sleep in their beds or follow any patterns at all.
I also know that I'll be over this slumpy slump mood in no time - probably the moment I hit publish and exhale.

Sometimes, I wish I was one of those homely types who is content to potter around my home for days on end.
Doing the same chores and activities over and over and over and over again without any deviation from the norm.
Perfectly content in my own company and that of these two gorgeous little people.

Unfortunately, I think a couple of days without a change of scenery is my limit.

The irony is that I do love routines and I'm a creature of habit in so many areas of my life.
I do routines well. Too well at times.
I just like them peppered with variety and broken up with new visuals I guess!

Pram aversion or no pram aversion - we will be getting out more this week my lovely Missi Moo.

Huh?? Are you calling me boring Mum??
You say that only boring people get bored!

Love :
rou·tine/ruˈtin/  noun 
1. a customary or regular course of procedure.
2. commonplace tasks, chores, or duties as must be done regularly or at specified intervals; typical or everyday activity: the routine of an office. 
3. regular, unvarying, habitual, unimaginative, or rote procedure.
4. an unvarying and constantly repeated formula, as of speech or action; convenient or predictable response

Not so much :
monotony  (məˈnɒtənɪ) 
1.  wearisome routine; dullness 
2.  lack of variety in pitch or cadence 

It's a fine line I guess!

Does anyone else out there suffer from cabin fever?
Aaaanyone?

Shar :-)

3 comments:

Mrs M said...

I think we all suffer from the lack of freedom to decide.
At the moment I feel like I always have to go out. All I want to do is stay home. lol.

Unknown said...

For the first time I feel like I am ready to go back to work and join the adult world!

All For Love said...

Oh Shar, the number of times I have felt just how you're describing here... well, too many to count. I am like you I feel, I like to flitter flutter around, keeping busy, doing things, but with LOTS of outside time. A whole week around the home is really hard. I do love my home and my boys, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to seek a little more from life too. Don't be too hard on yourself love, you're a terrific Mama and I think probably even better for identifying exactly what you need from this rollercoaster experience called motherhood xoxo