Thursday, January 26, 2012

52 Week Project : Wk 19

Snapped on Australia Day by a gorgeous friend
as I bid her goodbye - through our back gate!

For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.


I'm not going to weigh in on a political debate.
I'm far too frivolous and lacking in serious smarts for that.

However, I consider myself an Australian.
Proudly.

Until I hear some people speak about their version of 'Australian'.

I was not born in this country. Neither were my parents.
I am an Australian citizen, but hold dual citizenship with my birth country.

Am I unwelcome then?

Or is it okay, because I speak English and fit into
what the physical requirements of a 'white Australia' dictate?

With our Aboriginal heritage, could there be a more offensive term?

Happy Australia Day - Australians All....

Linking with My Mummy Daze and her 52 Week Project
The 52 Week Project

Shar :-)
Or Shaz - for one day only!

6 comments:

All For Love said...

Good call Shar. It's nice to leave politics out of it and just focus on humankind. After all the onus should fall back on individuals, as part of a greater society, to be accountable for their actions AND words.
LOVE the pic, you look so cheeky... well at least your eyes do! ;o) xo

Teresa said...

Well said, Shar!

I'm a 'first generation Australian' (although never thought about it that way until someone told me that's what i officially was/am) and often think the same thing.

I remember attending my Dad's citizenship ceremony and thinking what a welcoming celebration it was - I wish it was that welcoming to all.

Happy Australia Day!

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

Great words. Great photo.
I think you've got the best of both worlds having dual citizenship! Diversity is what life is all about.

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

Shazzaa!! Look at all the humour you bring to our country...you are worth your weight in gold;)

Life Love and Hiccups said...

You have sooo earnt your stripes - Australia is such a sunny place because of gorgeous people like you.
You and anyone else who makes the decision to embrace this country and the people of all race, colour etc are the TRUE Australians, cause isnt that what being Aussie is all about - giving everyone a fair go.
Love that you have made such a proud statement in your own gorgeous way xxx

Mrs M said...

Seems you're Aussie enough for me.